UTAP makes sure that we comply with the non-profit (NGO) legal obligations imposed by the United States federal government and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA") of Canada, regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in non-profit activities.
Our objective is to promote responsible and transparent personal information management practices. Against this background, the following norms guide us in the collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information.
SCOPE AND APPLICATION
- an individual's name, address and telephone number that appears in a telephone directory that is available to the public, where the individual can refuse to have their personal information appear in such a directory;
- an employee's name, title, business address or telephone number; or
- other information about an individual that is publicly available.
We are responsible for personal information in our possession or under our control.
We collect personal information only for the following purposes:
- to identify our constituents, donors, sponsors, volunteers and other stakeholders;
- to establish and maintain responsible relationships with our constituents, donors, sponsors, volunteers and other stakeholders;
- to understand, develop and/or enhance the needs, desires, concerns or opinions of our constituents, donors, sponsors, volunteers and other stakeholders;
- to provide support and/or services and carry out organizational activities, all with a view to advancing the goals of our Mission Statement;
- to manage and develop our business and operations; and
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of an individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- In obtaining consent, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that an individual is advised of the identified purposes for which personal information is being collected and will be used or disclosed. Purposes will be stated in a manner that can be reasonably understood by that individual.
- Generally, we will seek consent to use and disclose personal information at the same time as we collect the information. However, we may seek consent to use and disclose personal information after it has been collected, but before it is used or disclosed for a new purpose.
- In determining the appropriate form of consent, we will take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of the individual to whom the personal information relates.
- An individual may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. Individuals may contact us for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
- In certain circumstances, personal information can be collected, used or disclosed without the knowledge and consent of the individual. For example:
a) if there is an emergency where the life, health or security of an individual is threatened; or
b) if disclosure is to a lawyer representing us, to comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order, or is otherwise required or authorized by law.
We will protect personal information through the use of security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We will use appropriate security measures to protect personal information against such risks as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction, regardless of the format in which it is held.